Monday, August 25, 2008

Be Empathetic

You are probably familiar with the Empathy Belly. It is the “pregnant suit” that is supposed to make dad feel a little more empathetic toward the plight of the pregnant mom. My theory is that its main purpose is to allow mom to get some laughs at dad’s expense. That’s OK. I am happy to contribute in any way possible.

Last week, I was tapped to wear the empathy belly. When the other dads-to-be put on the belly, they sat quietly in their chair and perhaps had to attempt to tie their shoe. When I put on the 25 pound suit, the instructor thought it would be a good opportunity to demonstrate the most comfortable sleeping position for “Princess Mommy.” She proceeded to ask me to lie in the floor while she borrowed pillows from other classmates. She then sticks one under my head, one under my belly, one between my legs, and asks me to put an arm behind my back. I spent what seemed to be the next 30 minutes (but was probably more like 3) wallowing on the floor in front of a classroom of people and sweating all over classmates’ pillows. I guess that is better than someone else sweating on my pillow.

We continue to be overwhelmed by the incredible generosity of our friends. This past week we were given showers by April’s co-workers from the hospital and my co-workers at the City. I would like to offer a special thanks to the anesthesia folks for providing wings and beer at the hospital shower. Nothing says “Welcome Baby Girls” like Landshark Lager and buffalo sauce. Fins Up!!

April had another appointment with her Doctor today. The babies appear to be doing well as is my ever expanding (and ever more lovely) wife. The Doctor said that her belly is measuring the equivalent of 36 weeks were this a singleton pregnancy. Given that, the next seven weeks will be interesting. I think the hospital may need to get a larger empathy belly.

No comments: